Friday, March 28, 2008

There's No Going Back Now!





Friday, March 28th
Okay, today was the day of no returns (exchanges, or money back). At about 9 o’clock this morning, we took the final oath, saying we loved this obstinate little booger, and that he would be ours forever. As far as the country of China is concerned, we have a little Kenneth Tao Pecoraro.

I’m asking for your prayers. K.T. has had a bit of an adjustment problem. He seems to be very strong willed, and cried for almost the entire walk to the official ceremony this morning. Later, he had another episode for his nap, where he wailed and wailed for almost an hour before he’d give in to sleeping. This was actually very surprising for us, since he slept for almost 11 hours last night (once he decided to sleep, that is!).

Alyssa has been a great big sister. She actually calmed him on the way back from the ceremony in the stroller. Just patting his tummy while he had his bottle calmed him right down. Mikaela is getting a little more friendly with him, and is trying to protect him. She’ll take stuff away from him that she thinks will hurt him. Overall, I’d say Alyssa is relishing being a good sister, and Mikaela is quickly warming up.

Our guide took us for laundry – our family took a taxi of our own! The other families rode with the tour guide (actually one lady stayed at the hotel with her son – he’s been running a bit of a fever. Afterwards, we went to a local mall / department store. Our little guy can drool with the best of them, so we bought some bibs, a smaller bottle, and a big rag to wipe the spit.

Later (after the nap attitude), we walked with another of the guys across the street to the West Lake. It was beautiful. You can take boat rides, and there were people and stands galore. We found a small section with amusement rides, but didn’t make it quite that far, so tomorrow afternoon, we’ll be going there.

This evening we ventured out on our own as a family and went to a mall across the street (all of the malls here have at least 6 floors, but no air conditioning). The girls got a couple pair of new pants, since I sent theirs all to the laundry then got a call that it’s supposed to be chilly tomorrow (67 degrees), so I needed to dress the kids especially warm! (You should have seen the stares I got today when I dressed the girls in Capri pants – OOH, bad Chinese mom!)

I picked for dinner tonight, and we went into a Vietnamese restaurant, after we’d set down and ordered, Bobo pointed out the ducks in the window. (Yum, yum!) We ordered fried shrimp, and didn’t realize that they were whole shrimp – eyeballs and all. Poor Mikaela thought they were the breaded ones from Red Lobster, boy was she in for a shock!

K.T. continues to eat well, though you don’t come out of that experience cleanly – luckily he likes BoBo to feed him! Poor little guy puts it in his mouth, but then part of it comes out of his nose. I’d think half of what he tries to get in his mouth ends up there, the rest is on the floor. He tries, and I’d say he does very well – there aren’t many 26 pound babies out there at 16 months old!

We are pretty much off this weekend – tomorrow I think we’re going to the silk factory – that’s the local Hangzhou specialty, then probably back to the park and lake in the afternoon.

Sunday there are no big plans except meeting to get our laundry at 11 o’clock a.m. I’d like to try to go to Wal-Mart and Hooters. I don’t know what our tour guide has in for Wal-Mart, but she keeps saying that it is a far way away. Go figure!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gail, sounds like you guys are experiencing lots of new things! I love the picture of you and KT, what a smile!

Scott and Joan said...

We're so excited for all of you! We understand the obstinant part of the adjustment! It'll get better!
The Randall's